Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kitchen, Cookies, and the Farmer's Market

As promised, I managed to get a few pics of our kitchen, but let's face it...there's not much to it.

Friday night was my first trip to one of our local farmer's markets. In truth, it was my first trip to a farmer's market anywhere. Believe it or not, I've always just done grocery store produce. I may have continued to do so too, but the peaches I bought at the store a few weeks ago were really bad, and I've been craving a good peach.
The bananas are actually from Aldi because that's the cheapest place to get them in town. At the Farmers Market (Eastside Market if anyone in the area reads this), I also picked up a garlic clove and an onion for a recipe I'm doing this week and a jar of honey. I've been wanting honey for awhile now, but I prefer it fresh and local than processed in a bear. Not that the bear isn't cute, but this honey jar was perfect.


On Friday night, I also got the baking bug and decided to make some cookies. I found this recipe and made some tweaks, substituting applesauce for the butter and shortening and ignoring the orange peel. They game out pretty good...a little over chewy and maybe a little too sweet (my bad for using regular applesauce instead of unsweetened), but I'll probably make them again.

I have everything I need to make banana muffins except a few ripe bananas. I also have a recipe for crockpot monkey bread that I was going to make this morning. I still might make it this afternoon for an evening snack. It'll go perfect with the chocolate milk I picked up this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment